Today is Mother’s Day in the U.S. For many people it is a day to celebrate and honor their mother. People all over the country are buying Mother’s Day cards, flowers, candy, balloons, and other ways of paying homage to their mothers.
But not all people will be celebrating. There are children who:
- have never known a mother. Their mothers either died at childbirth or shortly thereafter. Or were not able to care for them and therefore put them up for adoption. They may be grieving a mother they did not know.
- have spent their lives in institutions craving a mother’s love. They envy those who have a mother.
- have been abused by their mother’s and remember only pain.
- whose Moms have recently died. For them the holiday may a time of grieving or a time of remembrance.
And then there are mothers:
- whose children don’t call, send cards or flowers on Mother’s Day.
- who are in institutions spending their days in isolation.
- whose children died through illness, accident, or wartime leaving them grieving on Mother’s Day.
So with these children and mothers in mind, I think of those of you who have mothers who have disappointed you, toward whom you feel angry or resentful from time to time; think about those who do not have a mother with whom to be angry or disappointed. And for those mothers whose children have lifestyles that you disapprove of, or have disappointed you, I think of those mother’s who receive no cards. I suggest that you allow yourself to be grateful for those children and mothers that you do have in your life rather than always hoping that they change to become the child or mother you had hoped for.
Remember the proverb, “I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a person who had no feet.”
[Dr. Dreyfus is a nationally recognized clinical psychologist, relationship counselor, sex therapist, and life coach in the Santa Monica - Los Angeles area treating low sexual desire, premature ejaculation, sexual addictions, drug and alcohol abuse as well marriage and relationship communication and intimacy issues. The profits from his latest book, LIVING LIFE FROM THE INSIDE OUT along with his other five books, are being donated to Chrysalis: Changing Lives Through Jobs and Make A Wish Foundation. All of his books are available on Amazon.com. Please become a fan on my Facebook Fan Page by indicating "like" on the page by clicking here. You can also find more tools to help you experience a more fulfilling life by clicking here to visit my website.]